Thursday, May 1, 2008

Isaiah is Born...on Our Way to Michigan

Well... today's the day!

At 6:30 this morning, our case worker Jennifer called. Joni was in the shower so I answered. I was a little thrown off to be frank, as she told me R (birth mom) was having contractions all night and went to the hospital this morning. I was thrown off because of news that we may be waiting another week that we received Tuesday. We had mistakenly made plans for the weekend. I had unpacked some shirts so they wouldn't get all wrinkly. I should of know better right?!

So after I talked to Jennifer I hung up and said to Joni... "It's begun", told her the news and we began getting ready. We finished packing the bags loading the car and getting Miya ready for another day at Jo's. We told Miya the news... she was excited!!, and then we prepared her for what was going to happen.

We dropped Miya off at Jo's around 9:30 said our goodbye's, tried to keep it quick so as to not make it emotional, and shortly after we were on the road.

At around 11:30 Iowa time, Jennifer called us and let us know that a healthy baby boy was born. Isaiah officially made his grand appearance weighing 6lbs 15oz, and measuring 21.5" in length. We were excited! Of course we quickly made calls to family and friends letting them know the good news. That was great.

It was a strange feeling not physically being there for the birth of our child. And we knew we wouldn't get to see him until the second day. We had a long drive ahead and wanted to give the birth family time with him to say there goodbye's. I can't imagine the emotions.

We had one "scare" on the drive. At our second stop to get some grub I panicked as I couldn't find my wallet. We scoured the car... and I began what I would call a panic attack. Joni made a call to the gas station we stopped at 2 hrs earlier. I started thinking I accidentally threw it away with our garbage. A wonderful employee there immediately began digging through garbage bags in the dumpster.... seriously an angel. After about 15 minutes of me trying not to vomit in panic.... I opened a weird nook in the van and....whalla! My wallet. I felt relieved beyond belief. We called the gas station back and let them know... they laughed we said a super thanks for all there gracious help to do everything to help us out.

So I was able to smile, relax and breathe as we got back on the road, we still had a ways to go.

driving....
driving....
driving....

10:30 pm Michigan time.... 9:30 Iowa we arrived at our hotel. 12 hours of driving later we are here. We are tired.... seems weird since all we did was sit in a car. But were are ready to get a good nights sleep and see our beautiful baby tomorrow.

So yes.... its begun. But we are ready!

9 comments:

Kelli B said...

we are so thrilled for you guys! We miss you and love you and cant wait to meet Isaiah.

Day one with Miya - just fine! She was really glad to talk to you on the phone, and we had no troubles. On to day 2! :)

Patty B. said...

Your story is epic and beautiful! I'm praying for you guys! If we can be of any help here in Toledo, let us know! You are loved.

Unknown said...

I am blown away and so encouraged by the way the Lord has been at work in your lives. He truly has a heart for adoption and it is so amazing to hear of the plan He is unfolding for you. We'll be praying, too!

Lindsay B said...

Congratulations Joni & Derek! He came so quickly! You're in our prayers.

The DH Family said...

Hi guys! We are so thrilled for you! I don't even have words to describe how happy I am for you. I had tears of joy while reading this update. We will be praying for all involved. Now you can be the "experts" and help others like us. We can't wait to hear all about it.

haverlee said...

i'll be tuning into this blog for updates. Can't wait to see pictures of your adorable little redhead. (Hey...at least you know he'll be a Matt Murton fan :)
Love you, Joni!
~Have

Sara Burrier said...

Way exciting!!! I'm glad everything has gone so smoothly up to this point. I agree, you're such an awesome testimony! Can't wait to see piccies of Isaiah!

(((hugs)))

You're in my prayers for speed. :)

Allie L. said...

This is wonderful news. We'll be praying!! Thanks for blogging about it!

Eryn Sluiter said...

Hey Joni and Derek!

Hope you made it back safely! You have been in our prayers!

Juve and Eryn